Thursday, January 27, 2011

Refining the process

Some of the more interesting areas to carve were details like the belt, belt loops, and folds in the uniform. At this point I am beginning to understand both the capabilities and characteristics of both my medium and my tools. It may also be apparent the there is a bar with weights on it in the background, laying over the right leg. This is because the construction so far is very heavy and wants to fall forward. Before long I decided to build a substantial base, and give the lower body a permanent, and more stable resting place.

The Torso: The primary chunk of wood I would decided on for the torso was discovered on a neighbor's front yard. It was part of a thick tree, sugar maple as I later learned, and was just the right size. Thus, utilizing the same lamination technique, I assembled a rough
torso shape. This time however, I loaded the extremely heavy block onto an old cart that could be moved inside or outside, allowing me more workplace versatility. When I began this section of work, I estimate that the torso weighed 90-100 lbs. I therefore began brainstorming ways to reduce this weight issue, both for ease of transportation, and overall structural stability.

4 comments:

  1. Not sure if you wrote down that artist I suggested you to look at in class. His name is Yoram Wolberger http://www.markmooregallery.com/artists/yoram-wolberger/#

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see where stability may be a problem, especially with the figure positioned in an active stance. Keep in mind the center of gravity of your structure. Good luck. This is very impressive work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. This is impressive. I love your attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your little red wagon! ;)

    ReplyDelete